Re: 2002 NELUG wall calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:29:29 GMT

[Previous msg clipped for space]

Hi, I realize I'm a neo-NELUGer and outside the group but I can't help but chime
in, too. I hope this is okay.

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

wow. I think Shaun's excited..
I just want to mention a couple of production things.

* don't do anything yet. :-)

* I thought about the multi-pic layout also, but I kinda hope to keep the whole
thing to 24 images or less. Otherwise it gets a little out of control. Not just
in time and effort, but the final product runs a risk of looking too busy. Just
my personal opinion, but I'd expect this to work better as a less-is-more,
elegance kinda thing. Whether or not it would work really depends on the images
chosen and what's expected of the viewer. remember, in selecting pictures, they
need to be prelim. sized first, that is, not all photos will look good at 2x3" .

A well composed collage may look nice, too. Also, maybe if each month was
treated graphically to go along with the MOC theme that would be interesting
(techno border for a space theme, antique frame for an old train, etc).
Effective use of typography should be considered, too.

* but surely there's an enormous number of possibilities in layout. I hope
everyone looks around and finds stuff they like. if you photocopy some, we could
have a meeting where we all look at what people gathered. I can listen to what
everyone says about content and layout, then do some sketches to narrow it down
to a few proposals. that would make it easier for people to then vote or
whatever.

I wish I was close enough to participate. :..(  There's some great books
dedicated to calendar design, someone should check the public library.

* the "image in the back" trick is called a screened image. easy to do.
sometimes it's a hard-edged graphic. it acts as a hint. but again it should be
simple. people often do this to make soemthiing look more "designed." it gets
more ink on the page.

This should be no more than 20% and kept monochromatic. I'm not partial to this
since I like to write on my calendar and screened overlays create a legibility
issue.

* this would be an offset printed 4-color press job. Not electronic output. I'd
assume at *least* 1,000 copies because once the press is running, more copies
are practically free. most places have minimums of 1,000 to 5,000. but that
depends on a lot of things. Paper is what adds up. we'd want the heaviest,
whitest, glossy stock we could afford.

Hmm. I'm unfamiliar with printhouses and prices in this region (I only recently
moved here), but I guestimate that we're talking at least $0.75 per unit for 4/4
color, 14 page, 8.5x11 booklet @ 1000 qty. I don't know NELUG, but $750 is a big
chunk of change (and doesn't include production charges) and 1000 calendars is a
lot of calendars. On the other hand, I say this is great project and excellent
idea to publicize the group. Has anyone thought about sponsorship? Maybe area
toy stores would be willing to fork up some loot for a small ad on each month?
An actual profit could be realized!

* resolution of offset pics has to be very high in order to survive screening
(being reduced to dots) and look sharp. Think at least 200-300 pixels per inch.
digital pics aren't going to cut it. not unless they're quite small, and then
they'd have to be close up shots of something simple (like a minifig). I
honestly think you can forget about any digital group shots we have.[1] I'm sure
there'll be some of you who disagree, but please trust me. Keep in mind too,
that many cameras and scanners can double pixel size by interpolation, fooling
you into thinking you have, say, 600dpi by producing that, when you really were
only scanning at 300dpi. And JPEG compression can be *brutal*. I almost never
JPEG compress images for print because there's another non-lossy type for TIFF
files. Here again, many digital cameras hand you a JPEG compressed file as your
initial picture. My Sony Mavica can take a 1024x768 bitmap image, but the file
fills a whole floppy disk. I can't get into all this right now.. maybe at a
meeting, but I think you get the idea.

Digital isn't there yet. Nor are consumer scanners. Would be best to work
straight from negatives.

* I'd hope to have the models pro-photographed in studio. It takes pro lighting
and tricky non-shine(non-damaging) spray to get good pics of plastic, not to
mention experience, but it's important for a professional looking product. I
have access to studio stuff and (I hope) a friend who'd help do the photography.
I directed product photography shoots every month when I worked for magazines.
This is why I offered to handle "design and production" aspects.

Pat that back... (just teasing!) ;)

* depending upon how the calendar is bound (stapled vs GBC plastic spiral) and
what size paper it's printed on (8.5x11 or 11x17 or bigger), it may be cost
effective to keep the pages with dates to being black and white only. I doubt it
though. and because I think stapled looks better, the formation of pages allows
color on all.

Saddle stitched (stapled) does look better. However, if the paper is coated
(glossy) it will crack at the fold and leave little flakes and veins. Also (now
wrestling with my Spam calendar), with saddle stitched, as the months progress
the less likely it is to stay on the wall as all of the weight is collected at
the top, overcoming the poor little tack. I would recommend using metal spiral
(not the GBC "cookbook" variety) so the pages can be turned down, keeping the
weight at the bottom (and it stays flat). There is an added bonus in this, too.
Since the pages are bound separated, you could print 4/1 and reduce the print
cost by a third. This also works out for the paper as you would only need a
single-side glossy--the calendar side should stay uncoated so it can accept
pencil marks and ink. Also, if you plan to bleed images, go slightly smaller
than a standard size to accommodate the gripper without going up a sheet size.
The printer should be able tell you a good size based on how (s)he lays out the
impositions. There, I saved you even more money! :o)

* one last thing, more photos doesn't equal more money anymore. (Whereas years
ago each photo got "shot and separated" then "stripped" into the layout, now all
imagery becomes digital, calling for only one printout to film.)

Yes, but... the production costs add up for drum scanning each photo.

-Suz

[1] when mentioning the train show (for example) I was thinking we'd represent
the event with a nice clean shot of (for example) Dave's trolley, then use text
to briefly describe our involvement in the event. Similarly, a SW walker could
represent the MF event, etc.

I hope no one minded me being a butt-in-ski, but this is stuff I've had to live
and breath and I couldn't help but provide input. I look forward to seeing the
final result. Be sure to put in important NELUG dates, too!

Thanks,

Jim