Re: 2002 NELUG wall calendar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:10:41 GMT

Suz,

Great idea, if nothing else I think this would be a lot of fun to put together.

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Here's a project I always wanted to do..  an AFOL-themed calendar.

I'm imagining that we could make one together, as a club.

This could be done in the spirit of a previous discussion, suggesting NELUG
hold a group-wide theme build. Conversely, it could highlight the diversity of
our interests by profiling 12 members. Or it could tell a story page-by-page,
or maybe include the club's prior activities (train shows, BW games, home
show, etc). Most likely, I'd expect it to act as a simple gallery.

Of your ideas I like the "diversity" idea and the "prior activities" ideas
best.  Although it would be hard to get high quality/profesional photography
done for our "prior activities".

The finished product could be like one of those wall calendars sometimes given
away by non-profit groups, where each month gets illustrated by a different
child, or other artist. Often, the artwork used was selected from a pool of
many entries. The people submitting artwork may, or may not, have had a
particular month in mind when they created their work. The styles of pictures
may vary greatly, but there's usually a unifying theme such as, 'fire safety'
or 'physical fitness.'

Let me guess our theme will be 'physical fitness' right? ;-).

I think NELUG could benefit from such a project in a number of ways..

As a club activity.
This could be done as a group building project. It could help our LUG to stand
out and be recognized. Members could submit LEGO creations, such as scenes,
sculptures, or electronic files specially made for the purpose. Each month's
spread could include a small picture of the featured builder/member with a
bio, bringing a human face to our hobby.

As a fundraiser.
Beginning in the fall, NELUG calendars could be sold online. Shipping may be
tidy and inexpensive. We could try for discounted printing.[1] Alternately,
advertising space within the calendar could be sold, paying for the calendars'
creation and allowing them all to be given away.[2]

I like the idea of potentially selling advertising space.  I can think of at
least 5 or 6 people/businesses that we could approach right off the top of my
head.  My guess is that we wouldn't have to charge much to recover our expense.

Well its not going to make us "one million dollars" but it would be fun and any
extra could go into the NELUG account.  One nice thing about this project is
that if it is successful it could become and annual thing.

As an awareness/promotional piece.
Calendars always work well as small portfolios of artwork. If distributed to
ad agencies and other buyers of custom art/sculpture, we would be displaying
what we are capable of creating. Copies of the calendar could be given to
toy-sellers and venues - anyone we would like to keep us in mind. Maybe even
some offices of TLC!

Anything to let people know where there is good.  I think the only way we will
ever see our ultimate goal of having a "club house" is to do projects for
profit and while the train shows are fun our income from them isn't much.  We
need more projects like the MasterCard project and this type of thing could
bring in a couple of these types of projects.

It remains to be seen as to how many projects we could support but we won't
know until we try.

As a stepping stone to other things.
There's not a whole lot of difference between producing a calendar, and a
magazine or small lightweight book.

Hmmm... I smell some gears smoking... ;-)

Just a few of the issues requiring consideration:
- The art elimination process, as there are only 12 months available.

Actually don't a lot of these calanders occasionally have 14 pages (one for the
previous December and one with 12 mini calandars for the following year)?  Just
something to consider if we want more space.

- Photographing the works. for consistency, professional quality, design.

This is probably going to be the toughest part (and most expensive).  Do we
have anyone in the group that dabbles in photography?  My skills and equipment
definitely arn't up to the task.

- costs, pricing and sales

This is probably the easiest part to nail down I would guess.

I'm prepared to volunteer my time in getting such a thing designed and
produced. This would mean a great deal to me. We'd need another club member(s)
to handle the gathering of entries and the selection process. And probably
another to manage sales and target distribution.

Please give this idea some thought. If there's enough interest, I can look
into production cost estimates. I don't think this has been done yet by any
AFOL or LUG, so there's apt to be a pretty high demand for the final product.
The sooner we got underway, the better.

Sounds good to me,

Eric Kingsley