Re: SF convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:01:44 GMT

Trevor & All,

Well, I still think the following would do well:

a) An example of previous space series sets (as you suggested above, Scott)
since it is good promotional material for adults who are interested in
getting back into the craft.

Yes, I can do pretty much every theme except Insectoids, I am missing a few
of the SW sets, maybe we need to figure out who has what.

Since we have, what, 8 tables, so we need to coordinate that. I can fill up
one by myself, just with catalogs and stock sets.

b) A MOC section for stand alone MOCs.  This would be good for my large
capitals, Spencer's GREAT space shuttle orbiter, etc, since it would be
difficult to include them in a large diorama.  But, for the smaller MOCs we
can set up a simple display backdrop such as large blocks or empty
containers and a since basic table cloth draped over the blocks.  This
raises the small ships and vehicles and creates a "teir" effect, which is
easier for the people in the room to see rather than having all our MOCs
just sitting flat on the table.  Makes for better photos, too.

Yup.

c) A small spaceport/colony layout.  This is important because not all of us
have ships to bring, and there is more to the space theme than just
spacecraft.  A monorail would be perfect here (particularly an actual
official LEGO set such as the Futron monorail with extra track), and Chris
is probably the best source for that.  Also, a spaceport layout would allow
the town folks to make space colony buildings, reactors, fabrication
buildings, mining platforms, repair hangers and living barracks.  This
allows train, town and space layouts to incorporated very nicely.  I also
find that Amy, Scott and Chris and the others are way better at eye-pleasing
town layouts than me.

We can do this, but if we are going to have a futuristic city, we need to
get creations going ASAP. Maybe a space colony, or a small outpost would be
better.

Note:  Rick is planning to bring harvestors for my food processor ship.
That may be set up as a stand alone diorama.

d) For those who do not want to build anything and just want to help, we
could use large colored cardboard backdrops to go behind the complete sets
(That Scott described) and the original stand-alone MOCs that would include
MLCAD/rendered pics and digital composites of MOCs over starfields or even
planets.  One cardboard display could show the different stages of an MLCAD
MOC from early drawings to final rendered form, and then with a composite
starfield.  Additional notes on MLCAD, where you can download the program,
where you can download part files, etc, would be good for the audience who
would rather draw instead of build.  Both Scott and particularly Rick would
be really good at that in addition to the MOCs tat they intead to bring.  If
Rick was to print out nice pics of some of his composite work, then most of
the hard work is already done.

As Rick pointed out, that would be cool, I can bring the rendered pictures
and the real thing. (My rendered TDF-F900 Hammer is completely different
than the one I built)

e) Scott's extensive library of past catalogs, for people who plan to sift
through pages.

f) I am 4 sets shy of SW MISB complete.  But I plan on bringing my capitals
across the border so I'm not prepared to bring the sealed boxes.  I'd be
stopped and forced to pay duty for sure.  If I only bring original MOCs,
then I can say that I've owned them for a long time and I won't get hassled.
None-the-less, this is a SCI-FI convention, and people will relate to the SW
LEGO parphenelia.

g) We could use T-Shirts, or else a nice big glossy print of our logo to go
on a cardboard backdrop.

OK, that's a lot.  But it's also a starting point.

Thoughts are welcome.

Indeed. Well, why don't we have everyone who wants to come post, and see how
much stuff we will be there. I will bring:

- catalogs, sotck space sets
- some MOC's
- monorail, etc. support
- some rendered images