Re: SF convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 04:03:33 GMT

Chris, Scott & all:  No problem.  I don't have any train or monorail sets.
Like I said, most of what I will bring is in my big ships.  So the probably
the best thing to do is to list off what we want to see (building wise) and
then we all draw from a hat or just volunteer.  Please note that I'm limited
in what I can build not because of time but because of lack of pieces due to
my big ships.  So we need volunteers.

So far the list is (I've included more ideas, others are welcome, and the
list can be changed no problem - just post your thoughts):

1. tokomak fusion reactor - Trev

2. atmospheric processor - Trev (Scott, the planet is atmosphere covered -
but terraforming is a major recurrent theme.  If we want I can ditch the
processor, or simply combine it with the fusion reactor as described in one
of our offline conversations, since that is what would happen in real life)

3. water reclamation facility/drinking water storage/waste
processing/reactor deuterium separation and storage - Scott has agreed on
the water reclamation, but we could do this all together if we worked on the
layout.

4. water tanks - open (Scott, could you do this with the reclamation facility?)

5. barracks and mess hall - open

6. central command building (communications and computer control.  The field
hospital and barracks could join up with this building.) - open

7. field hospital - open

8. small manufacturing facilities for various parts (two or three) - open

9. ore mine (open pit or otherwise - iron ore, other raw materials) - open

10. small materials/chemical processing and refinery (to get tritium,
lithium for reactor, vehicle feuls, processed chemicals, etc.) - open

11. spamcake processing for the spacecrafts' spamcake/anti-spamcake FTL
reactors.  :^D  ha ha!  This one could be a LOT of fun! - open

12. small integrated steel mill (raw ore blast furnace, steel refining
oxygen furnace, casting into billets and slabs, heated rollers to roll the
steel to make bars or sheets.  This can be placed right next to the mine.) -
open

13. hydroponics domes (Preferably one color) - Trev (will bring 3 qtrs)/Rick
(has domes)/Scott (has domes) - (these are really easy - no work involved)
-still open though.

14. deep space communications array (I would prefer one big dish like the
ones in Arizona.  This could be a single project that could be done by one
person)
- open

15. mass transit (mono rail)- tentatively Chris (please correct me if I'm wrong)

As you can see, many of the open ideas I listed above can be done by anyone
who does not own space sets, and is really into town themes.  This is an
atmosphere covered planet, and does not have to be very futuristic.  We
should try to include a logical arangement of facilities that you would see
in a typical small colony or outpost, that's all.  And cram it all together
like Larry suggested for the upcoming train show.  Then we could fit the
whole thing onto 2 tables tops allowing for a suitable monorail track (I
know that the length of the monorail will be limited, so it really gates how
far we can spread things out.  If we want to, the monorail can be used for
raw material/finished product tranport from the mines to the processing
facilites and then finally to the ship yards (for off-world transport).  I
already have two updated freighters that will each fit on a single standard
landing pad, so they won't take up much room in a two table layout.

Comments, critisms, general insight and feelings on the matter?

~Trev

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Chris Leach writes:
<snip>
Guys,not sure what i can bring/provide for this show other then my
monorail.I really havn't bought a space related set since the futron
monorail came out.Again i guess this is something we can discuss when we get
together.