Re: SF convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 22:51:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
Trevor & All,

I plan to bring the following:
- My destroyer
- My frigate with modules
- My food processor
- At least one freighter for the outpost setup.

I plan to work on building the following buildings for the small outpost:
- An atmospheric processor installation (small)
- A Tokomak Fusion reactor. (small)
- I have 3 trans blue qtr domes (my fourth is in my Frigate) that I can use
along with Rick's two and Scott's four to make hydroponics bays.  Both Scott
and I have the white side walls that come with the Explorien's base.  I'm
suggesting these because they are a snap to re-arrange for fast build and
tear down.  Peter Guenther has 4 qtr domes trans green I believe.

Whoa, what do I need to bring? Those trans-blue domes from Exploriens, etc?
Where are they at?

The following things we could try to include besides the usual military
stuff for the outpost:

- waste processing and water reclamation facility
- barracks/messhall/gymnasium

Question: Is the outpost on an atmospheric planet or not? I can arrange to
design the water reclamation facility.

The following would be cool on a *small* scale only and would be:
- *small* refinery for synthetic fossil fuels or chemicals. (acutally, this
would be mosty 1/2 cylinder light grey pieces of which both Scott and I have
quite a few of)
- *small* steel micromill.  I know how to do this, it will take some space
but I will not have the pieces after what I plan to work on.
- electronics fabrication and repair. (this is actually not a hard one to
build - I've done a couple in the past.  High speed surface mount technology
and chip wafer fabrication is ok and esy to do at minifig scale, while resin
encapsulation would be a bit tougher to show at minifig scale)

In my mind, all of the above can be fit onto 1 table, not including feul
dumps, landing pads, repair bays and defense installations.  I really do
think a small outpost is possible with little effort and little space, while
acheiving a lot of detail. If we use only two tables for the outpost, but
really build the outpost up like a good town layout (not spread everything
out like LEGO catalogs do) then we could really have an interesting layout
in very little space.  Much smaller than the train show for sure since the
buildings will tend to be smaller.  Comments?  Critisms?  :)

Indeed. We need to arrange it at our meeting.

Finally: Military

Well, this one is a plethora of goodwill because most of us have tons to
show.  What to choose to show in the small outpost?  There is nothing really
that inspiring in my mind if we just have a couple of no-name buildings and
a whole bunch of little vehicles at a show where some people want to see
other technological representations.  I think we should worry about the
facilities and the military filler will take care of itself.  And from what
I have seen of their work, we have such an extensive collection of structure
building experience from Amy, Chris, Peter, Chris, Scott and Rick (forgive
me if I have forgotten anyone) that we can make a really good layout in a
very short period of time.  It just depends who is coming.

I think that we will all have a couple of fighters to show, Rick has one or
two *good* troop dropships that I would personally love to see if at all
possible, Scott has excellent mobile defense installations and units that I
believe he still has assembled and would cover missle defense (that right?),

Yup. I have them, somewhere among the plastic containers.

and Scott and I each have a "countdown" corner that can be converted to
conventional heavy lift launchers/planetary defense/planet buster missles.
:)  I am open to many ideas since my military stuff will not really be part
of the outpost.  I think that we should focus on making good buildings and
facilities before we worry about the military contigent because given our
experience in military MOCs then it becomes easy fodder to fill in at the
last minute.

Guys,not sure what i can bring/provide for this show other then my
monorail.I really havn't bought a space related set since the futron
monorail came out.Again i guess this is something we can discuss when we get
together.