  Just got back from GATS...

This should probably have some kind of official announcement/write up, but I can't wait: We took 1st place! :) Of course, that's really no big deal, since we had the largest display, with the most track, the most rolling stock, and the most scenery, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug) !!

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Fantastic! The pix were great, and the modelling was even better. As a longtime model railroader who just re-discovered Lego, I am considering auctioning off my N-scale stuff to buy some Lego trains. The pix of the layout at GATS have only (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

That's wonderful news! Congratulations! (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

Sorry, I forgot to cross-post to .trains. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Yea!, Lego's are getting better, i like when the pictures show some older (20's - 40's) people and they look on in wonder, and realize that they never knew so much could be done with Legos. josh (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) The way things were set up, our display tended to be the first thing people would see. We had a small information table in front, on it was a 4561 chugging around its oval loop. Small children (and not-so-small) would notice the 4561 first, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) This was much the same as in Novi--there too we were the first thing people saw, and kids would run up to the 4561 and go "Cool!!!" and then ask, "Are you going to run it?" I'd have to tell them, "Sorry, we don't have power over here--but (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Isn't it great the way kids notice stuff like that? When the GMLTC does shows (which isn't very often, we know) we usually talk to the kids before we talk to their parents. Kids are so much more fun to talk to! The 'standard' reply when they (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) ---...--- Hey Peter, While your fixing the Mc D’s I thought it would be cool to have a small parking lot and a road for the drive though. (Just a thought) I’m going to make a power plant and a logging facility, and maybe some more misc. office (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) The thing that really trips me out is how kids run in and want to see the whole display forever--and their father is standing there going, "c'mon, we can look at this later... let's go look at Daddy's trains now." Peter (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Yeah, I was always going to, but I hate to make it take up more space... I may do some kind of restaurant module so the extra space is taken up by blank space on other baseplates for my buildings. KFC will return next time, Taco Bell and Pizza (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Peter, a restaurant module sounds good.Lets say you have a 7 plate area for those 4 restaurants...knowing that you could do drive thru,parking lot etc.As a side note Steve R. has your buildings.He offered to take them as he has more space and (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) hehe. Ya, I used a variant on that in my sales pitch: "just buy one of these (points to 4561s) to get started and add a *few* more bricks and you'll have that (points back to layout)" It was usually good for a chuckle. (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) I think we are being thrown by the use of roadplates a bit. We lay down these roadways and the edges of the roadplates end up being wasted space, because the building is built in the middle of another baseplate. Some sort of modular approach (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

Peter, (...) Maybe you can do a common parking lot /driveway for all of them, have it in the middle, and then just have the restaurants in front, surrounding it? (...) Indeed. (...) I don't, I spend it before! ; ) (...) Heh heh, he is coming over to (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  (canceled)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) I agree i think they are close enough and with the sidwalks we put down i thought the downtown AND the strip malls looked good. (...) Yep,very good point, (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

Amy & All, (...) It depends on the situation, that is for sure. A combo is the best resort, I think. (...) Right. (...) Right. (...) Indeed. Maybe we can do both, a classic downtown, short enough for people to see and the one we have now. Scott -- (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) With you on that... (...) Not with you on that one. Narrower would be better.. 3 tables is too deep. It was worse on the railyard side but even on the city side there were some impacts... (...) I think the proposal on taking into account that (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

I'll try for 6 (2 x 3) plates, but it might end up 8 (2x4). That will include the KFC, McDonald's, parking/drive-thru, and IHOP. I'll do it on baseplates with a raised "berm" as someone called it, kind of like Steve did with the turntable, to hold (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) That's a good point, Lar. Let me revise what I just said in response to Chris--I should have no problem doing this in a 3x3 baseplate space (30"square) with the front three of those being roadplates. I'll need to borrow some MichLUG straights (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Wow. This is like some kind of record number of postings for me. I definitely agree with Scott on the combo approach (and I think Larry's saying the same thing)--for some areas, like my restaurants, closing them in makes a lot of sense. For (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Peter we have the T's ,i didn't see the crosses but i wll chack my box of plates they are most likely there.Take the 2x4 area and have fun with it with parking etc.The next display at Novi i have already dicussed and have been given a larger (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

(...) Ok this was weird. I had signed in as myself. Updated my set list and everything. Then went and posted the link to the pictures, but Steve's computer must have had a cookie that placed all theat info for me, and my brain after a exhusting day (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Just got back from GATS...

To All, (...) Indeed. Maybe we should let the kids play with it a little. I am sure they would like it. Or have that display table one of the groups did a few weeks past, have the bunch of parts, and have them build their own, and let them run it. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jul-01, to lugnet.org.us.michlug)