Re: Just got back from GATS...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:22:14 GMT

The way things were set up, our display tended to be the first thing people
would see.  We had a small information table in front, on it was a 4561
chugging around its oval loop.  Small children (and not-so-small) would
notice the 4561 first, and then they'd see what lay beyond (we frequently
had to point out the main display; the little train doing loops was
apparently very fascinating).

We got more than a few "Oh my god!"s when people saw the real layout. :)

This was much the same as in Novi--there too we were the first thing people
saw, and kids would run up to the 4561 and go "Cool!!!" and then ask, "Are
you going to run it?"  I'd have to tell them, "Sorry, we don't have power
over here--but we're running those trains..." and point behind my back.  The
kids' eyes would get larger than dinner plates, their jaws would hit the
floor, and then they'd claw past each other to the real display...

The GR show was a great time and I'm glad I decided to go out there for the
first half!  Steve, thanks so much for you and your wife's hospitality with
the food and all, and thanks to everyone else for their hard work and great
photos!

I've already got a "short list" of what I want to build for the next show,
including:
-City Hall
-IHOP (do you know what that is now, Scott??)
-Radio Station
-Motel
-Play Place for the McDonald's (I was going to anyhow and a kid Saturday
morning said, as I was showing him the interior, "but there's no slide!!!")
-Frank Lloyd Wright-style house

Bigger and better every time!!!

Peter