Re: Hello!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:00:27 GMT

Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

here's something that I managed to construct this
weekend:

I really like that.  I've been generally down on the new Slave 1 (too many
new-fangled parts--back in MY DAY we only had 5 colors, and we had to walk
to school in the snow barefoot), but I really like the way you've
incorporated those curved slopes.

Bruce

Thank you!  One of the things that's really been fueling my renewed interest in Lego is that this time around there's an honest-to-god AUDIENCE out there.  So far I've been very much part of the audience, but I'm getting into the act...

I'm overwhelmed with the Slave 1 set, but what I do like is the
potential that some of the pieces have.  I have a theory that Lego puts
a lot of thought into their sets in order to maximize their chances that
you'll have to purchase a numerous copies of the same set in order to
gain enough pieces of a specific type or color in order to accomplish
any given custom design you might have.  That or they'll create some
very useful pieces but only in a color that's at odds with the design
you want to implement them in.  That would at least explain the wildly
eclectic color scheme I've seen in several sets.  Fortunately for me my
color of choice is dark grey, which seems to exist in a good variety of
pieces.  Haveing to acquire them in bits and pieces through ebay
auctions and Bricklink sales is a bit of a drag though.

I'm glad you like the little ship.  If I haven't taken it apart by the
29th for parts I'll bring it along with me to see what sort of comments
and advice about how to resolve some of the difficulties I faced.  It's
very workmanlike and has little in the way of elegant solutions to
design issues.  That's one of the things I really admire about the
official Lego sets: they really pack a lot of interest into the models
without using an atrocious amount of parts.

More will come eventually...

-Brian