 Organizations / United States / LRGOAA / 33
Re: new sensors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, Titus Gabriel Petrut wrote:
I just received (and payed) an invoice from HiTechnic regarding my order of 2
EOPDs and 1 Ultrasonic sensor. It wasn't a verry good time right now, but...
those are good to have. I'll see how good are EOPDs for line following.

If you're just doing simple line following, they won't work much better than
standard light sensors.  They are less sensitive to external light, but they are
also a little harder to use.

Two things to keep in mind:  1) The mounting should be strong.  If it bounces,
the readings will change, without consideration of the surface.  So, if they are
mounted on a long boom, they could bounce from the movement of the robot, and
give incorrect readings.

2) The EOPDs work by reading the sensor, flashing a light, and reading the
sensor again (just like pinging with the RCXs IR).  With that in mind placing
two of them right next to each other COULD affect the readings.  I've had
problems like that before, but those may have been prototype sensors.

I have
also ordered a bunch of parts from BrickLink. I hope that I will be able to
build 3 different robots for the garbage event. I allready have started working
on a pneumatic arm for the spybots...

cool.  How will it be activated?

Steve