Re: Line Following Monster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:06:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:

That sounds *very* cool. Pictures? How do you get power to all four wheels (for instance, through the turntables)? And the linkage between the front wheels? Two or three differentials? Can you add suspension? Etc., etc...

Pictures? you know how bad I am about pictures :)

Power gets to the wheels through a drive shaft with 20 tooth gears at each end. Then there are gears that connect to the 24 tooth side of a differential.

The front drive has ujoints that drive the wheels. The turntables are used mainly as a pivot point, not really involved in the drive train setup.

Linkage between the front wheels is done via gears on the top side for steering and a linking bar underneath for consistency.

Two differentials.

I couldn’t work out suspension because it added to the width of the vehicle. And, right now, it just meets the Chibot width requirement.

Does this meet the size requirements for ChiBots? Even if it doesn’t set it up for line following and we’ll have a contest: your Monster vs. Trellis in a head-to-head (as in “head on”) line following event. Extra points if you can drive over your opponent and re-find the line :-). No, Trellis doesn’t have a chance, but I really *like* the mental image I’ve got here.

I am pretty sure this thing can drive over Trellis and probably take wires off (or chew them up in the gears underneath).

how are you trying to follow the line?

2 light sensors that both want to stay on the line...nothing sophisticated (yet)...I am taking it with me to Steve’s house this weekend to see if he wants to make it a “team” entry at Chibots :)