Re: Line Following Monster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:32:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
   Cool. Which wheels are you using, and how is it geared? (how fast does it go?)

I am using the spoked motorcycle wheels from the Mindstorms kit (2 on the front and a “dualy” configuration on the rear...mostly for looks)

The main drive is attached to the geared down output of the rc buggy motor - the only gearing down from there is a 12 tooth to 20 tooth gear. The rest of the gearing is 1:1.

How fast? Hmmm..haven’t run it at full speed yet. I suspect it is pretty quick. But, I am using my “special” control boxes to power the motors. This allows me to run them slower than full speed. And, just for Steve, I am running them on “Forward 5”.

This sounds fun, if you can figure out how to make a line to follow, that runs over obstacles.

We could spray paint a line on uneven surfaces (like rocks, fallen “trees”, etc)...It would definitely add a degree of difficulty...of course, the competition table would be fixed (unlike a lot of line following events where the course is reconfigured easily)