Subject:
Line Following Monster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:05:39 GMT

So - I was bored over the last couple of weekends (I had a cold and couldn’t go outside and enjoy the weather).

I used my time wisely and now have a 4 wheel drive car that runs on 2 RC buggy motors (I mentioned this in a previous post).

I also spent a lot of time refining the design I descreibed about a week ago right here in this forum...

As it turns out, for a 3 pound vehicle (RCX + 2 battery boxes and the weight adds up quickly), rack & pinion steering meshed with the 4 WD differential really didn’t make for a solid front end that would survive things like random dog attacks and running into walls. So, rack & pinion is out the window.

The upgraded front end is not only much more stable, but also allows about 20 degrees more angle in the turns.

The new front end is designed around two large turntables. Each front wheel pivots underneath a turntable. The turntables are guided by an 8 tooth gear in the middle of the table that will control the turn of the lower portion of the table. The upper portion of the table is attached to the car frame. Additionally, the wheels have a linkage between them underneath the differential to ensure they stay perfectly in sync during sharper turns.

Now I need to shorten up the wheel base to make really sharp turns a reality. Plus, like Brian Davis, I continue to work on my line following skills.

The cool part - this baby follows a line up a 40 degree incline (I have gone as far as 4 feet up the incline. I am beginning to envision a new line following contest that I might call the Rubicon Trail (if you are a Jeep owner, you might be familiar with the real Rubicon Trail...unless you own one of those sissy Jeep Libertys)...This contest would test your line following skills and your general building skills...oh, and I think there would be a minimum and maximum weight limit to force bigger entries as they would be more fun to watch.

Back to work now - Bryan