Re: Battery voltage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:54:57 GMT

On Thu, September 8, 2005 10:00 am, Chris Magno wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Well, it took me almost a year, but I finally have it working!  I have an RCX that
can use to get the battery voltage from another RCX.
Steve

Hi Steve.

WoW, this sounds interesting. Will you be making the code available?

I'd love to be able to do the same sort of thing, but my programming skills are
laking.

Thanks.

Chris

I don't have a problem doing that, however, I suspect very few people will find it
useful.

First, most people who understand how to use the code, won't have a use for it.
(don't need to talk to RCXs with standard firmware)

Second, most people who have a use for the code, won't know what to do with it (like
you)

In order to do what I wanted, I wrote a BrickOS program to send the "Get Battery
Power" command (0x30).  Then, I had to modify the BrickOS kernal (firmware) to
process the Op Code returned from the standard firmware (0x38).  bla bla bla.

To use my code, here's what you'll need:
1) The ability to rebuild the BrickOS kernal.  If you downloaded BrickOS from the
web, you should be set.
2) my lnp.c file to include in #1
3) the "send command" program
4) An RCX to download BrickOS to
5) Another RCX with standard firmware.

If anyone out there has #1 & #5, I'll gladly provide my hacked up code.

Actually, I was thinking about writing the send program into the kernal.  Then, I
could just post firmware that can be downloaded (via normal firmware download
techniques) to an RCX.

How about that?
Steve