Re: Battery voltage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:00:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
So, I finally managed to do something that's been bugging me for a year.

When we were at the state FLL tournament last year, there were several times when we
had to check the batteries, to see if they were still good.

To do that, Greg would take the team's robot over to his laptop, fire up the laptop,
start BricxCC, go into the diagnostic screen, and read the voltage.  Oh, and you
have to make sure the IR tower is connected & disconnected at the right times,
because if my computer goes into sleep mode with the IR tower, the tower will not
respond when the PC powers back up.

Of course, when he did that, there was usually not a team member (kid) present.  So,
if someone walked by, it looked like he was trying to program the robot (instead of
having the team do it).

I didn't like that.

So, I figured I could write a program for BrickOS, that would send a standard
firmware command, and show the battery voltage on the display of the BrickOS RCX.

It sounded easy, at the time.

Well, it took me almost a year, but I finally have it working!  I have an RCX that I
can use to get the battery voltage from another RCX.  So, for this year's FLL, I
expect to have an extra RCX around, that I can use for checking batteries.

Now, that's a good use for an RCX...
Steve

Hi Steve.

WoW, this sounds interesting. Will you be making the code available?

I'd love to be able to do the same sort of thing, but my programming skills are
laking.

Thanks.

Chris