Subject:
Over-the-train GBC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:08:20 GMT

Ok, so John and I have been talking about the GBC modules we're building for the
IndyLUG layout in October.  We've both had ideas for GBC modules that move balls
over the train track.

Before we each wonder off in our own directions, I'd like to consider how we can
make an over-the-train standard.

The goal is to define a GBC Type 1 compatible standard, that can move balls over a
train.  But, I don't think it's going to work.  (easily)

I see four possibilities for OTT modules.
1) "S" shapped.  Moves balls to the other side of the track.  Keeps ball stream
moving same direction (Left to right).
2) "Z" shapped.  Moves balls back FROM other side of track.
3) "S+Z" module.  Does both #1 and #2 in a single module
4) "U" shapped or ")" shapped.  Moves balls to other side of track, and turns ball
stream 180 degrees, so it will continue along the back of the track.

One thing that's not really accounted for in the GBC Standard is the width of the
train track.  The Type 1b standard does specify 32x32 modules, but on top of that is
the additional 8 studs for the track, and most train layouts are defined by 32x32
baseplates.  That means the GBC track is on a baseplate that's in someone else's
area.

I think the S+Z option would be the easiest to build into a layout.

Any other thoughts?

Hmm.  I wonder what it will take to raise the train 2.5 studs, and make a ball-pump
that can push the balls under the track...

Steve