Re: Future GBCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:10:58 GMT

On Tue, October 18, 2005 10:37 am, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

   Also, it means that RCX #2 is completely independant of RCX #3, meaning each
of those GBC segments can be designed completely independantly. Coordination is
all relegated to RCX #1, which as Steve points out could support a third GBC
segment. • ...
   It could be a 3rd GBC segment (controled by a 4th RCX) if we want. Also, it
could be used to automated the non-GBC train. For instance, have RCX #1 control
a switch point for another "scenic" loop (powered via a train controler). Every
other non-GBC train can be put on the "scenic" loop, varying the behavior of the
entire display. One problem I can see immediately is the possibility of
collisions where the "scenic" loop re-enters the primary loop... hmm, need to
think about that.

I was just thinking about this.  For non-GBC train loops, one RCX could control the
whole siding (detect train, throw switch, power track, watch for oncoming trains...)

Here's a pretty cool train detection light sensor:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=7281

   And it might count cars, too, making multiple trains distinguishable by car
count. I wonder if I can detect trains via LIDAR...

At the train show last weekend, my train had 2 GBC cars, and two container cars.
Counting would not be useful, there.

We should be able to adjust the speed of the trains by adding/removing cars.  Sort of.

   The other point I like is that a two-station GBC train is a *lot* easier to
engineer than a multi-station GBC train like we had at BF'05 (although I really
really liked that setup, I never did get it to the 99% reliability that I feel
it needed for BF).

I was unhappy with the reliability of our GBC train at BF.  It required some
attention.  The GTX GBC train did not.

Steve