Re: Future GBCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:31:46 GMT

On Mon, October 17, 2005 11:27 pm, John Brost wrote:
Since I couldn't build tonight because I don't have a tv to watch the colts at
my lego table

Things were not looking good when Payton first touched the ball and the score was
10-0...  But, it all worked out in the end.

, I worked on trying to figure out how to reduce the number of RCXs
we need to control 2 GBC loading & unloading spurs.  I came up with this (when
it goes public)
<link>http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1441391</link>

It reduces the number of RCXs we need down to 3 for the whole thing, and allows
us to have a motor for unloading and loading on each spur.  The only things I
see as a possible problem is that there are 2 light sensors that must be hooked
up 2 RCXs (is this a problem?) and if this works, there is a possibility of
needing some VEEEEEERRRRRYYYY long wires.  I don't think I've left anything out.

Would this work?

Yes, this will work.  It looks like a good way to divide the tasks between RCXs.  We
can NOT connect 1 light sensor to 2 RCXs, but that's really not required.  We just
place two light sensors at that location.

Can anyone else decode that drawing?  :)  Let me take a stab at it.

The black loop is powered by one or more train controllers.  RCX #1 controls train
routing.  The other two each work exactly like our current set-up, where it watches
the track-sensor, and works the train stations.  The one addition is the need to
watch for passing trains, before allowing the local train to leave the siding.

  Using the light sensor & touch sensor, RCX #1 can detect when a train is
approaching either station, and throw the switch (M).  Of course the first thing
that SCREAMS at me is the fact that RCX #1 has an open motor & sensor port that
are going to waste.  :)  Perfect for adding another station, right?  What about
adding a passenger station for the non-GBC train?  Another RCX can control driving
it, and stopping it.  It could also be a non-functional GBC, or something like
that.

So, the plan would be to use a light sensor to detect "any" train, and a touch
sensor to detect a GBC train.  Here's a pretty cool train detection light sensor:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=7281

or, a simpler idea:

Oh, and the really long wire thing...  we've been there, done that.

Nice plan.  I like it.

Steve