Re: January GATS info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:26:40 GMT

The only concern I see is that the setup time has been cut by an hour and a
half on Friday (we usually get until 9pm to set up).  I'm sure we can stay
until they kick us out, but if it is as early as 8pm, we may have our work
cut out for us. If this is the case, I would like to request more volunteers
on Saturday morning.
Jeramy

From: "Brian Darrow" <bdarrow@insightbb.com>
To: lugnet.org.us.indylug@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: January GATS info
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:22:13 GMT

Access to the building has nothing to do with "clout or leverage".  It is a
matter of security for the venders and train displays.  The more people
running
around inside that huge building for longer hours, the more chance of
giving
some dishonest person the opportunity do something dishonest.  GATS
security
people can't possibly keep an eye on the entire facility and each vender's
property. I would assume that most venders don't want to come and sit by
there
both for lots of non-selling hours, once they've set-up.

My suggestion is to arrive at the specified time so you don't have to sit
around
for an inordinate amount of time.

I requested 10 passes and if we need more it is just a matter of talking
with
the GATS people at the registration table to get more. We did this at the
last
show without any problem.  Please let me know if you have any other
concerns,

Brian D

    People have mentioned that since we have won first place at GATS, we • now
have clout or leverage or better negotiation prospects or something like • that.
I think it would be a good idea to ask for permission to get into the • building
by 9:00 AM on Sunday morning.  Last time I got there a few minutes • before 9:00,
but they wouldn't let us in until 10:00.  There were other train people • there
too who weren't too pleased about waiting outside the doors in the cold • while
there was a security guard inside the building doing nothing.
    I mentioned parking passes at the meeting right after the October • GATS, but
I forgot to bring it up again at the last meeting.  Does everyone think • it would
be OK to use club funds to buy parking passes?  For instance, if GATS • gives us 5
passes, and we're going to have 8 people driving to the fairgrounds, the • club
could buy 3 more passes.  If we keep doing well at the shows, maybe we • could
even get the GATS people to give us a few extra passes.
    David "Fuzzy" Gregory

Get holiday tips for festive fun.