Re: January GATS info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:22:13 GMT

Access to the building has nothing to do with "clout or leverage".  It is a
matter of security for the venders and train displays.  The more people running
around inside that huge building for longer hours, the more chance of giving
some dishonest person the opportunity do something dishonest.  GATS security
people can't possibly keep an eye on the entire facility and each vender's
property. I would assume that most venders don't want to come and sit by there
both for lots of non-selling hours, once they've set-up.

My suggestion is to arrive at the specified time so you don't have to sit around
for an inordinate amount of time.

I requested 10 passes and if we need more it is just a matter of talking with
the GATS people at the registration table to get more. We did this at the last
show without any problem.  Please let me know if you have any other concerns,

Brian D

    People have mentioned that since we have won first place at GATS, we now
have clout or leverage or better negotiation prospects or something like that.
I think it would be a good idea to ask for permission to get into the building
by 9:00 AM on Sunday morning.  Last time I got there a few minutes before 9:00,
but they wouldn't let us in until 10:00.  There were other train people there
too who weren't too pleased about waiting outside the doors in the cold while
there was a security guard inside the building doing nothing.
    I mentioned parking passes at the meeting right after the October GATS, but
I forgot to bring it up again at the last meeting.  Does everyone think it would
be OK to use club funds to buy parking passes?  For instance, if GATS gives us 5
passes, and we're going to have 8 people driving to the fairgrounds, the club
could buy 3 more passes.  If we keep doing well at the shows, maybe we could
even get the GATS people to give us a few extra passes.
    David "Fuzzy" Gregory