Re: December meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:45:00 GMT

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Mark Peterson wrote:

Please reply with things left to do.

I believe we were also planning a building session this Saturday.  I
think that Steve McD., Jeramy, I, and possibly Steve M. were up for that.

also stringing plain rope or something halfway down to create a more
substantial barrier to the younger generation.

The important part is that the posts still need to be painted.  I'd like
to do that this weekend, especially if they need to be primed (do they?).
Do we have enough paint (preferably white)?

2. Wiring: Brian marked where the holes need to be drilled for the wiring;
we can drill and run wires this weekend.

3. Baseplates: Leah, Jeramy, Steve McD., and I brought all our baseplates
last time, and there were still bare spots (although we didn't use all the
smaller baseplates).  We don't need to cover the whole table, since the
tables are a matching green, but I think it would look nicer.  Could we
get a count of any additional baseplates we can count on for January
(Eric, Mark, ?), and from Steve M. how many baseplates we need[1]?  Also,
road has been reconfigured; were we still short two straights (and did you
have two green straights, Mark)?

4. Details: streetlights and stoplights (can Leah do all of those, or does
she have a style we can all duplicate?), sidewalks, cars, minifigs, plant
life, minifigs. . .a busy display is a happy display.  Bring your stuff to
the next meeting, and we'll see how it can fit in.

5. General: correct me if I'm wrong, but I think our agenda for the next
meeting is

a) clean the layout (dusting and removing all loose parts)
b) install all buildings, baseplates, and automated points
c) try out the layout with all rolling stock (test out clearances
for larger units, test and practice with the automated control system
Brian and Steve McD. are working on)
d) do detailing
e) tear the layout apart and pack it up so we can safely
transport and quickly set up the following Friday
f) plan the mechanics of setting up and staffing the show

Thus, everything needs to be built and ready to position by the beginning
of next meeting, so we have time to get through all of this and deal with
the inevitable bugs.

I need an opinion on the new road plates.  Are we going to go with them
or try to stay with the old green ones?  I need to buy some and want to
know which ones to buy.

Notes for the uninitiated: Lego road plates are available in several sizes
and styles, usually distinguished by the number of studs left on a side
(after the flat part for the road).  6-, 7-, 8-, and 9-stud road plates
have been produced.  For true city streets (as opposed to runways, landing
pads, etc) the four standards are
1. 9-stud (early 80s, gray)
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/606p01
2. 7-stud (late 80s, gray)
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/80547
3. 8-stud (1997, green)
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6322
4. 6-stud (2002, green with black paving)
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Query=4110

(Actually, I may be wrong here, so please correct the above if
appropriate.)

I like the new road plates, but I think the layout needs to use entirely
compatible roads for primary streets.  Since the new plates are not
compatible with any old plates, that would mean replacing all of them.
Although in the long term that might be a good idea (the new plates are
better for 6-wide cars and trucks, and can be easily obtained new in
quantity), currently we have no club funds with which to do that, and I
think it would be better to use Steve M.'s substantial investment in the
1997-style plates, supplemented by whatever anyone else has or can pick
up.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] Now realizing that I don't have as many baseplates as I thought, I'd
certainly be willing to pick up another two or four more before the next
meeting, but I'd like to know if it's necessary.