Re: June meeting pool MOCs contest ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 04:31:22 GMT

FLOATATION CONTEST
Objective: Be the last MOC floating.
Construction Rules
1. Vessel must be constructed purely from Lego parts. No clone bricks. No
modified parts.
2. Certain Lego parts which have been specifically designed to float are not
allowed. Specificially, this means all the parts listed in the following
queries, except the two motors:

http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=floating&limit=parts&anyword=0

http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=boat+section&limit=parts&anyword=0
    Additional parts which are similarly designed to float may also be
disallowed.
3. The vessel must contain at least one minifig. The minifig's feet must be
below the natural waterline of your vessel. That minifig must have a line of
sight to the horizon in at least one direction which is unobstructed by any part
of the MOC, including any transparent part.
Competition Rules
1. Your vessel will be eliminated from competition if at the end of a round any
of the following is true:
a. Your vessel lists more than 60 degrees from vertical.
b. You have no qualifying minifig left on board.
c. The head of any minifig on board is completely submerged
2. Rounds will consist of periods of increasingly challenging water turbulance.
The first round will be calm water.

BEST-DRESSED CONTEST
To qualify for the best-dressed contest, your vessel must compete in and
successfully complete the first round of the FLOATATION CONTEST. The winner will
probably chosen by popular choice.
OR
You can make a submarine vessel. In this case, the vessel must be placed in the
water 10 seconds prior to the beginning of round one along with the floaters.
But by the end of the round, the vessel must be completely submerged or it will
be disqualified.

BUILD CONTEST
Well, we don't have Jeramy's boat sections, but I think there is a red bow,
stern and center section in my mom's collection. So here's a proposal:
1. Build a red boat center section functionally like this one:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x146c02, but using standard elements like plates
and bricks (you can use either 1 x 2 x 1 panels or 1 x N bricks for the sides
above the deck).
2. Using a set number of bricks of your choice from my mom's collection and a
fixed amount of time, turn that section into something nautically interesting.
3. We'll attach everyone's sections together to make a super-ship, and judge the
best section.
For those of you in to thinking ahead, my mom's collection is mostly from the
early 70s to early 80s, and is mostly made up of sets from the Basic, Classic
Space, early Technic and Town themes.

PRIZES
Winners get thrown in the pool. No, maybe that's not a great incentive. Um, what
would you say to a made-to-order minifig?