 Organizations / SciBrick / 250
  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) We are in the process of creating a website which helps to automate the membership process so things like this don't happen. We have not been actively recruiting members lately because we were still trying to work some kinks out of the system. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) Are you insisting it be PHP? If you don't mind some perl (and really, why would you? :), sounds like an easy job. LMK if you're interested! Dan (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) It is a fairly easy job, just somewhat tedious. Well, the goal was to use the (URL) template engine> to completely separate style from content. (...) I am...here's the database structure I came up with (with a couple notes): (URL) file> As you (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) I might suggest combining sb_m, sb_m_loc, and sb_m_profile into sb_m, and just not fill in the _loc and _profile bits unless either supplied or member is a "full" member. Unless people can have multiple locations and profiles... Also, you (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) I think I might have required unique member ids on those tables too. The idea was to keep the number of columns in sb_m down, but maybe that's not really necessary. (...) The zipcodes table is 40,000+ rows, while the world cities table is only (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) Depends how much space you need to save, I guess. If you're using varchar's or text fields (for profiles certainly), you're only adding an extra... 2 bytes for a null entry? Forget if it's 1 or 2. So maybe 18 bytes extra per member. I guess (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)

  Re: SciBrick is looking for you!

(...) It was more a matter of keeping the table easier to read and deal with for things like just listing members, which doesn't require a full bio and location, than of actually saving bytes. (...) The idea was to avoid lookups in those huge tables (...) (20 years ago, 25-Oct-04, to lugnet.org.scibrick, FTX)