 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 495
Re: Questions re: Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:52:08 GMT

Two questions regarding the train show:

1) What buildings/structures need to be built?  How big should they be?  I'm
assuming that we're gonna tend to stay away from the original LEGO set models,
(except maybe the GOOD ones).

2) What vehicles/trains will we have?  Here I'm assuming that the trains will
be a mix of our personal creations plus LEGO set models.  Vehicles can be
anything with wheels.  :)

If we assume that 13 is the final layout design, we next need to
finalize what goes where in that layout, and delegate the building.
As far as I can tell, here's what we know so far.  I've liberally
sprinkled it with other ideas.  Let's build on and modify this
specification quickly, so we can get the building going.

SW west corner - airport w/ monorail and train station, airplanes,
      helicopter, limos, taxis, luggage, tarmac vehicles (fuel truck,
      luggage cart, firetruck, plane "mover"), buses, control tower

SW middle - residential, houses, cars, bicycles, park or playground,
      typical yards, some with fences, BBQ's, pools, playhouses,
      gardens, greenhouses, landscaping

SW east corner - train goes higher, perhaps mountain, wilderness area,
      trees, hikers, camping, cabin, off road vehicles, logger,
      logging truck

NW west corner to beach - downtown, taller buildings, office building,

      town hall, bank, hospital, police, fire, park, trucks, cars, gas
      station, controlled intersection or two with lights, etc.

      * Somewhere near the North side of the layout perhaps near the
      NW corner where there are two tracks, we should put Dean's
      twin crossing.

W Beach - what you would expect, sunbathers, boats, water skiers,
      swimmers, lifeguard stand (a la Baywatch)

SW End of beach - where train track curves, rocky outcropping (a la
      "White Rock") leading to a bridge over the "river".

Middle of water - at least one island, with perhaps a lighthouse or
      something else on it, buoys, seaplane

River - technic (or Znap) bridge over it, monorail track on top

E Beach - container port, docks, container ships, tug boats

NE west corner - container port, crane, containers, forklifts, trucks,
      workers, warehouse and other buildings

NE middle and east corner - train yard, sidings w/ extra rolling
      stock, covered train building or repair shop

E middle - at monorail siding, a train and monorail station, escalator
      going down from building between two tracks possibly

SE west corner - other industrial, factories, garbage dump?

SE east corner - other industrial, refinery (Dean's twin oil tanks)?

* The entire layout liberally sprinkled, where appropriate, with
streetlights, mailboxes, phone booths, power and telephone poles,
billboards, and above all, HUMOUR!  Little funny scenes that will make
people want to study the layout to spot them.

Take this and run with it.

Robin