 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 18
Re: Pics online of VLC's First Meet!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:45:42 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Dean Husby writes:
It will be a train Cam soon. Right now it can drive around the track
forwards and reverse etc. by remote.
But it also has PC control with a track reading system. It knows where it
is on the track and can go to any station I wish. Speeds up slowly, slows
down etc. Headlights always on. The RCX is powered by the track.  Then
the RCX controls the motor.

You're using an RCX to control the RCX on the train via the IR port?
Have you tried using several RCX enabled trains and addressing each
train separately?

Yes, I've had a basic setup where one was my master and the other was a
master/slave. Basically I made it so that the master could contract the other
master, find it's location, tell it to join it for a  heavy load and then
switch to slave mode.  I have only done this on my straight test track though.
heh heh. But it seems to work...

That would be 100% pure LEGO DCC!  The only
downside is now that we know you can do it with real LEGO elements,
we (purists) can't use 3rd party DCC :(

KL

Alas, your above is incorrect. I had to modify the train motor to allow for a
second wire connected directly to the motor. The aux connector supplies power
from the track to the RCX (And lights). The RCX then powers the motor
directly. Without the modification the RCX signals would be sent down the
track making more then one train impossible. (Unless you use 4.5 or 12v track)

Here's a pic of my modified motor.
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego/trnmot12.jpg

This setup does work incredible well though...

Dean