 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1372
1371  |  1373
Subject:
Post Show Debriefing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:12:38 GMT

Hi guys,

Well, it's time that we turned our minds towards the next show,
whichever one that is.  Let's take another look at our layout,
logistics, organization, etc. and see if we can't improve on it.  I've
listed a few points.  There are no doubt many others.  Talk it up.

Note:  I'm not picking on anyone or anything here.  I'm just making
observations with the aim of improving the show.

- Internal Skirting:  We all agree it looks waaay better covered up
along the inside perimeter of the layout.  I think Alex agreed, and is
going to snag some more of that lovely fabric.

- Wires:  There has to be something we can do to hide these better.
Will they make that much of a difference if they wre threaded under
baseplates.  Even if the track is not completely and perfectly level,
I think it would be much better.

- Freight Yard:  Frankly, this area was a bit of a disappointment to
me.  It was by far the "emptiest" part of the layout.  There wasn't
much of the "Industrial Crap" that we discussed and agreed on.  It's
worth noting that among the 160+ pix that Alex took of the layout, not
one direct picture was taken of the freight yard.  The rolling stock
was awesome, but there's a lot of work to be done on the yard area
itself

** Selfish side note:  You may have noticed how crowded the Hogwarts
area was.  I have about a hundred more ideas for that area, but zero
space.  I would love to expand that area somehow.  If we shrunk the
freight yard slightly, and rerouted all the track in that area, we
could get an extra baseplate of room there.

Just as an idea, I've uploaded a very rough design (2-r0006r.tdl) to
the ftp site.  The old mountain ridge AND the proposed mountain ridge
are both shown.  I've lengthened the frieght yard sidings further to
the east, except for the bottom one, where there was a building.  Note
that I've also added the 18 inch table beside the farm, below the
freight yard.

- Plexi / Rope:  We do have to decide on this, and get moving.  I did
notice that the Florida GATS show on the weekend had little "Do Not
Touch" signs all around the layout.  I'm not sure I like that idea,
but I'll bet it worked.

- Oil Dock:  Will we have one for the next show?

- Bridge:  I, for one, would like to see some soft of higher
superstructure on the bridge (trusses, suspension bridge, cable
stayed, etc.).  I don't think Andrew has the bricks, etc. to make that
happen.  Perhaps someone else can step in?  Might be me, but let's
discuss it.

- Kevin's Buildings:  It's too bad these were not oriented properly,
but I didn't even notice.  Obviously, this will be fixed for the next
show.

- Hogwarts Cleanup:  I have to clean up the backside of my castle, the
parts that aren't hidden.  A hastily built BURP wall was OK for the
show, but I'll have a pretty, viewable side for the next show.

- Hogwarts Engine:  I've strengthened the attachment points of the
body to the frame a little, and may do a bit more.  Hopefully I can
get a new motor as well, now that I know that mine has just never been
"up to speed".

- Table Legs:  We still need a few more sawhorse legs cut to the right
length.  I'll work that out with Andrew.  We should be OK for shims
now, though  ;-)

Please add more stuff here, and make your comments on these items.
Let's hash it out.

Robin