 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1378
Re: Post Show Debriefing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:57:37 GMT

Robin Sather wrote:

I've been doing some thinking on this. For the last show we put a lot of
wires up under the monorail track. This looked really good. I'm going to
build a little 'Power Station' type building for the monorail where the
RCX can be hidden with wires out the top.  But for the hogwarts area maybe
putting them under base plates would work. Not sure, there's so many of
them.

I think it would.  Specifically, the baseplates that we were using
there are the ones with the majorly rounded corners, in other words,
tons of room for wires to peek through.  If we make sure that the
wires aren't twisted, and even space them out for more even support of
the plates, then tape them down, I think it could work.

- Freight Yard:

We were pretty rushed for this show. Each of us was pretty maxed out. We
need to discuss what exactly we want in there. With all the track in that
area it's hard to build items.

I hear you.  I should not have included the "disappointment" phrase.
I know all the reasons why, and they are VERY valid.  I just wanted to
focus on the next one.

** Selfish side note:  You may have noticed how crowded the Hogwarts
area was.  I have about a hundred more ideas for that area, but zero
space.  I would love to expand that area somehow.

I don't agree with anything that makes the sidings any smaller then they
already are. I found the trains too short as it was at the last show, I
don't want to see them any shorter.

Very good point.  I dl'd video from Toronto's show (AWESOME
Mountain/tunnel BTW, check it out on Brickshelf -
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=62477 ), and they had
a freight train with about 27 cars!).

Switching yards are pretty boring in RL.

Exactly.  So why do we donate such a huge portion of the layout to it?
Other than to show off rolling stock, of course.

Well other then STORE rolling stock. This layout has some issues that in future
we will have to make sure we deal with. Multi evaluations would sure be nice, we
could hide things in the below space. Imagine an entire switch yard under the
table...

But I'm sure there's something cool we could do.

Yes, like adding some more detail, like say some "Industrial Crap" ...
oh wait, I guess we already thought of that ...     ;-)

I had all the containers I had there... I've got plans for a huge silo like
what's near our place, but I need about 16 more Droid Escapes to pull it off.
sigh.

... Or maybe an automatic crane ... (G,D&R)

Also, with your hogwarts expansion you've not left enough space for the
switch building...

Ya, I thought about that.  Like I said, it was a rough design.

I don't like signs of any kind on the layout, it really snaps the viewer
out of LEGO reality...

I tend to agree.

Which brings up something else.  I don't think I like having flyers,
catalogs etc. just laying in piles on the layout.  The Florida GATS
show also had little holders for any of that stuff.  I think they were
Znap, which would finally make a good use for that stuff!!  I reallly
like this idea.  I was constantly cleaning these things up, picking
them up off the floor, etc., and I just didn't like the look of them
laying on the baseplates.

Same here. I'm going to have controller plug-in's that will allow controllers to
bolt to the tables. (My tables) and not be on the layout. I'm sure we could make
stands out of LEGO etc.

I don't know if we can handle many more Mindstorm related stuff. I think I used
almost all the long wires from the entire (active) club...

And I still want to have the hogwarts 9 3/4 auto station and kids control
area... sigh...

--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320