 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 127
126  |  128
Subject:
VLC Exclusivity - open letter to Dean and Alexandria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:30:56 GMT

Dean and Alexandria,

Thanks for your polite responses to my commentary on this issue.  I
realize that my tone may have easily incited some degree of wrath (and
it has, in fact, from one person so far... I'm sure more will follow).

Most of the clubs I've been involved with have had monthly meetins at
some public location, usually on a university campus, in a church
building, or high school.  Most of these have provisions for clubs that
are not oriented towards making a profit, as long as the interests of
the owners of the facility are maintained.  This usually amounts to
little more than having somebody from the facility as a member of the
club who can vouch for the actions of the group during their use of the
facility.  Further, the way the clubs grew is that people found out
about the location through word of mouth or a community newspapare
advertisement, and those who wanted to go would show up.  Once there,
the newcomers would meet the organizers of the event, have an
opportunity to discover what it is they do, and make an informed
decision on whether or not they wanted to join.  If not, they went on
their way, and all was well.   It was this way that the clubs would grow
in size.  Usually having annual or biannual spurts of sudden growth (eg,
in the case of a on-campus meeting place, the club would get a lot of
visitors in September and January).

Your candor and willingness to discuss the matter with me is greatly
appreciated.

Mark