 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1044
Re: Sign is finished!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 18:29:53 GMT

Robin Sather wrote in message <3b47b394.25162868@lugnet.com>...
Plywood (instead of using doors):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard Spruce 4' x 8' x 5/8" sheet   $ 21.50
(very little flex, just OK for us)
Fibreboard - medium density 3/4"        $ 25.50
(even less flex, would work fine)
Fibreboard - med. density 5/8"             $ 23.00
(slightly more flex, still great)

* Using these sheets would require a little redesign of table layout.
Kevin, can you have a go at seeing if this is even feasible?

I did some fiddling around and I think the best way would be to cut three
30"x40" chunks out of each 96"x48" sheet of ply. That would replace the four
30"x80" doors and give us one extra 30"x40" section, plus several 8" and 6"
strips for strengthening, sawhorse locators, etc. We'd need 11 sawhorses to
replace the 4 doors, assuming we can put one sawhorse under two 40" ply
sections where they butt end-to-end (we'd need to fix them down somehow).
Cost for that option assuming 21.50 a sheet plywood and $9 per sawhorse is
$154.50, so it's more expensive than $15 scrap doors, and more work, but it
gives us an extra 30x40 ply section (without sawhorses to hold it up unless
we make more).

I still like the doors better if we can find them, they are a lot lighter
than plywood.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1