 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9835
Re: BOARD ROLL CALL - C$
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:56:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik wrote:

1. do you plan on entering a C$ robot?

yes.

2. do you NOW own a board?

I have 2

3. where did you buy it and when?

more below

4. have you recruited a programmer who graduated from Waterloo?

Somehow, I missed this question in the original post.

No, all my team members graduated from a little US school called Purdue.

Given that I won't be attending the dinner this week, here's a little info to
add to the list.

I went to TRU yesterday.  I already have one board, but it has the
bumpy-Eagle+Star chips, and I wanted the smooth chips.

The first thing I see is the brand new version, with Blue board, and red+yellow
chips.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/mountingotherboard.jpg

I did some looking around.  You know, WAY up on the top shelf.  WAY back behind
all the others.  Well, I found three different boxes.  To go with the first one,
they also had the original one I got:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/mounting2.jpg

And a "middle" version, which has a yellow board that looks like the blue one
above: (and red+black chips)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/mounting-view2boards.jpg

I think two of them are exactly the same, except for the color.  However, these
DON'T seem to fit well into "LEGO" dimensions.  The legs are very thick, so they
don't bend very well.  (the older version does)

The new board would be easier to "scan" starting from the side, because the legs
do not stick out perpendicular to the board, like the old ones.

The chip spacing all seems to be the same, but the new board has a larger
distance from the top chip, to the top of the board.  (about 1/8 inch)  So, that
could affect a chip-dropper.

In my [useless] opinion, if a nice mounting can be found for the new board,
either could be used in a game.  (the new board would need to be raised one
plate)

here are some pictures (after mod)

hmm.  just got e-mail from Chris...

Old board.  Sounds good.  That's my vote, anyway.

Steve