 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9680
Re: 12 x 886 Space Buggy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:26:20 GMT

Mark Chittenden wrote:

Very very nice. Is the "minifig" based on the 2723 with the legs rebuilt to be
functional or it completely a new design?

Somewhat.  The idea to make the legs and arms more functional came from
Jeff VW in rtlToronto.  He build a version of this mini-fig with the
standard rtlToronto khaki pants and blue t-shirt.  He also worked in
gearing for the arms and legs.  From the outside it's the same design as
the 3723 mini-fig.

I worked with this idea and modified the mechanics some for my mini-fig.
  I did use the 3723 as a guide, however, it's not true 12x scale, so I
didn't end up using any of it's constructions.

One of the most important things I wanted to capture in the mini-fig was
the slop of the sides.  By sloping the sides in like a real mini-fig I
was able to get the same range of motion out of the arms.  I'm very
pleased with the way this turned out.

The arms are controlled by the same gearing mechanism used in the legs.
  The holes are covered by the air tank, so you have to take his head
and the air tank off to adjust them.

Working on a 10x scale 'brick' horse myself, I see I'll need to do up a rider
for him now...

That will be very cool.

A few people have mentioned doing 10x scale models.  I've wondered why
10x when 12x works so easily with lego?

Derek