 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 903
902  |  904
Subject:
Turn table ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 16:10:05 GMT

Hi Guys,

Well my round (rectangular actually) House is near completion. I need about
42 - 50 3 x 4 33 degree red slopes to finish it off (does any one have any
that they want to sell? and I still have to do some interior detailing.

The turntable is a different matter; I am trying to use My RCX 2.0 to
control the rotation of the track. My original idea was to use a rotation
sensor (purchased an ultimate accessory set at St. Jacobs last week for just
this purpose) with a one to one ratio with the track. Unfortunately I have
had the following problem:

The rotation sensor being based on 0 - 16 means that it is almost impossible
to line up the track properly.

My next idea was to use 3 touch sensors:

The first would accept input for the user: the users presses the sensor X
number of times, two variable would hold the count of the number of times
the sensor was pressed. When the sensor has not been pressed for 2 seconds
the turntable starts its rotation.

The other two sensors would be attached to the rotating track, see
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=4500 for an example. at the
end of the sensor there is a technic axle, which would come in contact with
a series of round 2x2 bricks or 2 x 2 boat studs. Every time contact is made
one is subtracted from the variable, until the variable is equal to zero,
and the motor would stop.

I was then thinking of accepting another input from the user, this would
power the track forwards, and reverse when pressed again.

A final press on the first sensor would reverse the main motor and use the
second variable to count down to zero (which should be the main track).

There are a few issues with this idea (although it is the one I prefer)

1) the current design, of the 2 track touch sensors are not great, the axles
move out of the 2 x 2 technic bricks due to vibration and can sometimes get
caught.

2) I have a felling that the RCX may not be able to catch the triggering of
the touch sensor and count down properly.

3) I want to redesign the 2 touch sensor mechanisms from the above link, but
I am Very limited to space due to the motor used to power the turntable: an
area of 8 wide, 5 long and 2 bricks high

Any thoughts and Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
P.S. When I was at St' Jacobs last week they only had straight and curved
track, Loads of 4561's and not many other "unique" of hard to get items..

There were a few blue 3033 Tubs there, but they were not 3033's they were
for the new Creator Line.