 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 899
Re: Self-detaching yard engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 22:32:02 GMT

Now I need advice on doing this - it's probably not acceptable to
have the engine move 2 feet while it's being signalled to detach.
Chris (beg beg plead plead) - do you have any feedback on how to
affect how well the MS picks up VLL?

Otherwise, I'll have to just make the RCX car.  Boo hoo.

Jeff, this is a COOL and neat IDEA. it  should be forwarded to BOTH Rcx,
Microscout, Trains, and Technics.  many more people smarter than I
should all be working on this.

As you describe the situation, let me see if I understand your setup.

you power a train rail with an output of an RCX.

You then pulse the VLL signal to the microscout.

and because the train runs when you apply ANY power to the track, (like
a pulsed VLL signal) the train moves, and lowers the light output to the
scout.

here  are the few things I learned:

the MS takes a LOW level light reading @ power on. it uses this as a
reference for the rest of its on time. Make sure there is minimal
ambient light when you turn on the brick.

....sec.

OK, I just did a quick test set up.

it looks like this could be very difficult.

I ran a parallel wire from output C.  One went to the track, and one
went to the light.  I used a regular light pointed at the MS sensor.

when I ran my small script, with the train ON the track, I got nothing.
when I pulled the engine OFF the track, and flashed the same script. the
MS worked.

this confirms what you thought.  I even powered the RCX with AC and
received the same results.

I have to go, BUT I will leave the set up to work on.

I have to tell you it does not look good.  :(

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm