 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 939
Re: Self-detaching yard engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 03:28:01 GMT

I'm not quite clear on how you are sending the VLL messages, nor am I
clear on what software you are using to send them.

That having been said, here's a suggestion that may or may not work
depeinding on how you implemented the data stream:

If you are sending the data by toggling the power line for the train
and you are using a Lego light, keep in mind that the light works
equally well with both input polarities. If you have control over the
software that sends the VLL codes (ie. you aren't using a pre-written
subroutine), you could send the VLL codes by alternating the direction
of the current in the power line. This would move the motor forward
and back with it, but if you sent the codes quickly enough, the
movement would be minimal.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ

P.S.: if you don't mind replacing the lightbulb in the Lego light with
an infra-red light-emitting diode, it would allow you to work with
lower power levels than the incandescent bulb.