 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8928
Re: Segway HT and Roomba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:20:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

I think Calum is the only person I know who apprecieates product design even
more than I do.  If there had been a third person standing there watching us
poke and prod at the Segway I think they'd think we were weird.

Segway is an interesting item in that it's industrial and product design is
excellent, but it's a solution waiting for a problem.  It's like, they hired
great ID and PD guys, but forgot to talk to anyone in marketing.  For those who
don't want to walk or drive, you have the option of a...BIKE.  The $7K for the
thing or whatever it comes to is just too much.

Roomba on the other hand-not as pretty, but still excellent product design-good
feature and functional thinking going on.  I like the S, M and L room buttons,
the hoop handle.  A lot of the items the presenter mentioned (cleaning the
corners of the walls, pushing out socks, running into kids, tables with picture
frames) I think were well planned and though out on.

Given the choice, I think Roomba is a much more compelling product, at least for
the average person--the $299 price and actual usefulness of a robot that quietly
cleans a floor unattended is much more useful than a $7K scooter.

I kind of wish I'd bought a $20 Palm, too.

No, you don't.  Stares at $380 Palm Vx.  No, you don't.  FYI, in case anyone
wants it:

http://www.ellams.force9.co.uk/palm15.htm

Robotic Mover is a Palm program which turns your Palm with IR port (I use a Vx)
into a RCX Mindstorms remote.  Of course, it also works with LDCC and can
operate as a DCC throttle.

Calum