 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8923
8922  |  8924
Subject:
Segway HT and Roomba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:34:51 GMT

Iain and I saw some nifty robotics related stuff at the CNE/Ontario Place today:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/cne1.jpg

They had two Segway HT's being used for promotional PR work for Pogo (the hotdog
on a stick product).  Very very cool.  A company rents out the Segways with
custom signage on them to promo and PR firms and their clients.

The motion (they wouldn't let us drive one) is extremely smooth.  The videos
don't do it justice--it glides around effortlessly.  The Segway has a little
kickstand to keep it vertical without being "on", and the power charging plug is
a standard AC machine plug, so it's easy to find a cable for it.

They also had Roomba robotic vacuums on sale too at the Better Living Center, or the National Trade Center 2003 equivalent of it.   They're pretty nifty little devices, and at only $299 Canadian, not a bad deal.  I was incredibly surprised how effective they were.  The presenter asked the crowd "does anyone have a robot at home or has ever used a robot?"  I think Iain was biting his tongue the entire time.

They even had spaghetti in foam cups for 99 cents in the Food Building, $20
refurbished Palm III's and Beaver Tails at Ontario Place.  Sigh.

Apparently an NBA exhibit gave out NBA Lego posters at the other end of the
fairgrounds.

Calum