 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8843
Re: joystick help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:25:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Vineet Honkan wrote:
In other news, concerning my RCX controller, I did a few sketches yesterday
concerning the pneumatics and the touch sensors. As was mentioned earlier, I
will be using four touch sensors, but here I reached an impasse. I was reading
the Ferrari brothers' "Mindstorms" book the a little while ago, reading up on
sensor setup, when I read about OR configs. and AND configs. My controller will
be using an OR config.

Now my question is, have I set it up correctly for an OR configuration? I used
four t. sensors, with four seperate electric cables attached, and then attached
the free end of the cables to a 1x8 electric plate. Underneath the plate I
attached three more electric cables, and then attached the other ends to the
input ports of the RCX. Is this a correct setup for an OR configuration? Or is
this one setup of an AND configuration? Please let me know. (If this isn't
clear, I will bring my schematics to our next meeting).

Vineet,

This sounds like a very good question that DOES pertain to groups like this one.
Congrads for being On-Topic.

It sounds like what you're describing IS an or gate, BUT, when you press any of
the four buttons, it will trigger ALL THREE inputs.  So, there will be no way to
tell which button you've pressed, and you'll get the same reading on all the
inputs.

I suspect what you really want to do is hook a single touch sensor to port 1,
another touch sensor to port 2.  Then, on the third port, find a way to connect
two touch sensors in an OR configuration, but you'll still need to tell which
one is being pressed.

One way to do that, is to connect a light between one touch sensor and the RCX
(while the other is connected directly.)

This way, when you press one touch sensor, the light will come on (dimly).

You should configure this port as a "light" sensor.  I'm not sure what the
readings will be, but the reading for the touch sensor with the light should be
lower than the other touch sensor.

Good question.

On-topic

Steve