 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8747
Re: Couple of Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:51:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
Hey all,

Just a couple of questions with regards to the upcoming competition:

a)  We're scoring based on white and black blocks, and which side of the
playfeild the blocks are on.  Can someone confirm that blocks contained inside
of a robot still count?  What I mean to say, is that if you were to look at the
playfeild from above, blocks which lie within the [-shaped area that makes up
each side, are counted, regardless of wether or not they're within a mechanism?
Or must the robot expell all the bricks?

No, I think we all were okay with the robot containing the bricks as long as the
robot was in the [ area.

b)  Starting point is anywhere along the backwall?

Yeah, I had it on the graphic but not on the rules text.  I put it in now.

The 450 mm size restriction is very large.  :)  It's so large that I can't
physically build a robot that big.  So, as usual (well - usual when I actually
build something), my robot will likely be tiny.

I said so too. I thought 12" was better, but was overruled.  I can also see the
benefits of 18".  I was thinking about a rake and the 18" helps, especially
given the concept I want to try. (two rakes that close in on each other)

How do we plan to clean up the rice at the end of each game?  I don't have a
dustbuster, but if I did, I'd offer that to be used for the day.  Perhaps that
would work best?  Just load up a new filter before game day, and then you can
suck up any pieces lying around, and deposit them back into the bin.

I think you misunderestimate the power of a dustbuster.  Ours can barely suck up
rice, bricks are another story altogether.  Maybe Chris or Dave will have a
shopvac, I have a dustbuster but it probably won't help.  Maybe a brush and pan?

Calum