 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8433
Re: Here's the thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 03:05:31 GMT

I wonder if you can use your computer knowledge to tap into Calum's GPS • system
in his car?

Maybe you can modify the directions so they come home instead.

JohnG - "I dont know! It just says make a U turn."
Calum - "$@#&ing @*#$!."

After I was done laughing at this... which I did out loud at work... I • stopped
and wondered quietly to myself, "hmmmmmm is that possible?"  :)

Needless to say I don't have a clue how (if at all) this would work out in
practice, but it should be possible in theory.
For one, if you could access to the GPS receiver (i.e. slim-jim into Calum's
car the night before he left for BrickFest) and reprogram the satellite
trajectory prediction algorithms (IIRC this is stored locally on the unit)
in such way that the satellites would appear 'mirrored' to the receiver. In
theory that should be just enough to make Calum's GPS think that East is
West and North is South and drive in the opposite direction.
Alternatively, you could reprogram the time settings on a few of the
satellites, hence creating "fake lag" in the signal and giving a false
distance measurement to the receiver unit. If you tweak the fake lag just
right you might be able to "position" Calum (and the rest of the GPS users
*evil grin*) past his distention point, forcing his GPS to order a U turn
:)) This will work perfectly, as long as he doesn't get suspicious of
driving North-East to get from Toronto to Virginia ;)

Ivan
"0 days, 0 hours until BrickFest 2003!" - talk about being at the wrong
place at the right time :))