 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 806
Re: Standardized Containers for Train1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:17:19 GMT

Heya,

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

Hi guys and gals!

I'm trying to come up with some concepts for a cartesian gantry crane
(automated, of course!) for train1 for loading/unloading containers onto
flatbed cars. Now, since the only stuff I've built is passenger, I've no
idea what a "standard" LEGO train container might look like.

Lego's got a pretty standard package: 4x8x4 bricks, with the lowest
plate
thickness being a footing.

Right hand side of this scan:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4563/4563-11.html

or this one:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4030/4030-11.html

Calum and I talked briefly yesterday about the possibility of everyone
deciding on a common protocal for designing containers for holding, say,
technic half-busshings for example (to simulate a mining operation). This is
the kind of stuff that we should discuss! :)

Okay, here's some discussion:  I'm about 60% of the way through
completing
a bushing-mining operation.  This includes an automated bushing elevator
system, a weigh scale for dispensing loads, and automatic car
positioning.

I haven't settled on a car, since I'm trying to get an automatic-dumping
one, and I haven't given up and gone for side-tip yet.  Anyone wants to
suggest one, that's fine by me.  My plant can adapt to just about any
car size.

I haven't thought about the destination end of the operation, but
stealing
from Matthias' ideas, perhaps we're mining ABS to send to a Lego factory
:)

Jeff E