 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 792
Re: Standardized Containers for Train1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Hi guys and gals!

I'm trying to come up with some concepts for a cartesian gantry crane
(automated, of course!) for train1 for loading/unloading containers onto
flatbed cars. Now, since the only stuff I've built is passenger, I've no
idea what a "standard" LEGO train container might look like.

Calum and I talked briefly yesterday about the possibility of everyone
deciding on a common protocal for designing containers for holding, say,
technic half-busshings for example (to simulate a mining operation). This is
the kind of stuff that we should discuss! :)

I guess I can go ahead and build the gantry, and just leave the end of arm
tooling until the end. I'm very excited about this!

I plan to have the overhead gantry straddling not only the rails (one track?
two parallel ones for train-to-train xfer?), but straddling a "feild" of
containers arranged in a neat matrix. Via my HP, I would plan on having a
touch-screen interface for selecting which containers go where.

   Iain

I would think that 4 x 8 and 4 x 16 would be considered as "Standard" sizes.
Both will fit on a 6 x 34 Split-Level Train base. a standard height would be
3 bricks high plus one plate for a roof and 2 plates for the floor and
raised base.

Jeff