 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8019
8018  |  8020
Subject:
45 Degree Crossing Ready
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:01:39 GMT

Well after much sawing, cutting, grinding and gluing, and most of the
with Photoshop.  :-)  I've got a working 45 degree crossing.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Crossing45Deg/dsc05192.jpg

It's not pretty.  As a project in modifying Lego Track its kind of like
deciding you'd like to do your own car maintenance and starting by
changing the timing belt.

I made a made a mistake in the original plans I did up in Photoshop.
This resulted in excessive weaving of pieces together.  This resulted in
some bending and twisting what wasn't desirable, and broke apart on
sections and bent another.  Plus my original measurements on the track
were a little loose on the cuts so I got some gaps in the ties that
could have been avoided.  However copious amounts of glue fixes all.  :-)

If I decide to do another one of these I'll definitely be able to do a
better job.

This directory on brickshelf has my photoshop plans.

I've corrected these for the error mentioned above.  Just to quickly
describe the plans, the red and blue represent the bottom plate high
layer of the track.  The black represents the metal rail and the plastic
part of the rail beneath it.  There is a third layer between these that
is not pictured in any of the drawings.  This is the sort of plastic
fillet between the tie level on the bottom and the rail itself.
Cutting red and blue it is done from the bottom to the bottom of the
fillet.  Cutting the rail it is done from the top of the rail to the top
of the fillet.  Once all the cuts are made, fitting the pieces together
requires the fillet be cut down in places to make a clean fit.

I've run my metro liner through this many times and I haven't had a
derailment yet.  As I say it's not entirely clean so we might not want
to be running trains through it constantly, but there wasn't any
noticeable damage to my metroliners wheels so it should be ok for
moderate usage.

Derek