 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7769
Re: old Clark Forklift -- O.T.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:11:45 GMT

anyone hear have any working knowledge about clark forklifts??

I have driven a few forklifts in previous jobs. I don't think any of them
were clarks though. I drove one that had pneumatic tires so it could drive
outside. It was lots of fun bouncing up and down while driving along bumpy
roads in a super heavy vehicle with no suspension.

its OLD.  its powered by Propane, I can NOT find a model number after a
quick once through.  it has  a 4 Cylinder motor (i counted the spark
plugs)

The only thing I know is how to change the propane tank. I used to have to
go and get it filled up once in a while.

after some trial and error, i found it to have 1 reverse and 1 forward
gear, as well as a "high" and "low" gear.

Be VERY careful of that high gear. Forklifts are really heavy, so once they
are up to speed, its hard to stop them. And since the steering is so tight,
its pretty easy to tip over if you go around a corner too fast.
Oh, and never drive with a load raised. If you can't see because the skid is
too tall, drive in reverse.

where might I find a model number,  what kind of maintenance dose this
thing need?

One other thing I did once was lubrication. I just pumped grease into all of
the fittings I could find.

what position should I leave the "forks" in over night.  (i
remember one someone telling me that all hydraulics need to be fully
open??? at the end of the day.)

I was told to put the forks all the way down at the end of the night so that
the forks and the mast were supported by the floor. I think the hydraulics
are more susceptible to leaks if they are left slightly loaded for long
periods of time.

Another thing to watch out for when driving is the forks. I drove a forklift
in an auto glass warehouse several years ago. It had super long forks so it
could pick up windshield crates lengthways. Once I misjudged where the forks
were as I was turning, and I ended up spiking a crate of windshields.
Oooops!

Rob