 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7579
Re: The life as a technical support analyst...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:29:48 GMT

Actually, we're not quite sure what virus it is but port 1434 is getting
throttled...

dave, I'm not much of a IS support guy, BUT I do know that on the
machines that I am responsible for I recommend that people use Netscape
and related products.

Netscape has a browser and e-mail client built in, and in conjunction
with even a mediocre virus software package you can stop anything.

the idea is that no one writes virus for such a system.  I am forced to
use XP and work and every time I am forced to download a new "patch" the
documentation almost always is due to fix a security breach in outlook,
or IE.

over the course of the last 3 days my 2 machine have been getting 3 or 4
different virus (each) per day. netscape just opens them up and I LAUGH!
cause the package cant auto run in netscape.  (tee hee)

so I like to check by saving a copy to my desktop, and that's when
McAfee yells at me and pops up with the super cool image of a hand
holding a slimy green "bug" and tells me all the info on the virus.

a good system.

IN FACT!!!

a system, so good that LARGE corporations use MY SYSTEM, as a way to
prevent what you are/were going through.  A good example of a company
that uses MY SYSTEM is Bell Canada Fleet Services.  Ask Calum all about
it.

(smirk)

Chris
MY SYSTEM(tm) a tiny division of bug-b-gone.