 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7578
Re: Yeah, I'm still sitting here at work
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:25:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote:

And am now missing First Contact....

I still cry at the ending.  It's was good.  I'm glad I flipped it on!

By the way, I called the St Jacobs LEGO outlet today - those two technic
sets (back-ho, rescue truck) come in next month and are $135 and $90 CDN,
respectivley.  I can't wait!

    Iain

First contact is one of the best...

But I still dislike the direction they took the Borg in--

When, in the second season, Q sends the Enterprise out to 'meet the Borg' for
the first time, the Borg were scary in their cold machine like way they did
things.

In Best of Both Worlds, the Borg were unstoppable by an entire fleet of
Federation ships, and still handled everything in a cold, unfeeling, unstoppable
machine-like way...

Then comes the Borg Queen...

Sarcastic, vixenish, prone to hyperbole, doing things with an artistic
flair--"Oh Locutus, welcome back..."

then, "He'll make an excellent drone..."  where's the machine-like precision--I
was thinking this was much like how a bad guy tries to eliminate James Bond--an
elaborate setup, all for naught.

"Watch your future's end...."  oooh, the drama!  A machine would have already
assimilated Jean Luc, and not waited to let Jean Luc see the destruction of
Zephrims ship...

And Voyager?  Little Janeway kills Borg cubes like squishing ants... (okay, she
didn't but the eps with Species 8472, and the series finale... close enuf)

The Borg weren't scary anymore after BoBW...

Of course, it was like all the other races in Star Trek--as soon as the 'human
element' was added to them--I mean, the Klingons were great in TOS, but when
their 'human side' was exposed, like in all the Worf eps, they ceased to be
great--they became another 'human element'.

But that's just me and my Trekkie geekiness showing thru.  I still love all of
it (even the odd number films!)

Dave K