 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 749
Re: again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:22:08 GMT

<warning type="lego-mod" sensitive="purists">

You can use the big cylinders as compressors.  Just carefully unwind
the spring from the shaft - you can do it without damaging the spring
if you're careful.  Store the spring for reapplication later.

I've generally found the small compressors to work better, but you
should arguably be able to get higher top-end pressure with the
big cylinders.

You can even put the springs back on after you're done - so it's
not really modifying Lego, it's just taking it apart :)

</warning>

Jeff E

Chris Magno wrote:

What can you do with those big pumps?  can you convert them into
working pneumatic cylinders?  I only need one manual pump!

This has been my holy grail.  The manual pumps put out more volume of
air per stroke then the little ones.

The bad side is that because air compresses so easily, the first 3/4 of
the stroke is not very effective, yet is the easiest part of the stroke
for a motor to push.  what one REALLY needs is a way to have a motor
easily push that last 1/4 of the stroke.

In my playing, I've never found a nice way have a motor do this.

This is why my second last stacker (the one that didn't work) looks like
a steam train, I thought if i put two pumps opposite each other, then
the down stroke of one would be helped by the spring return of the
second.

Well, you might remember the result.  Never got full stroke.

there are a few web pages out there that try this, But I've never found
a nice one.

this was the idea that I used:

http://prelude.PSY.UMontreal.CA/%7Ecousined/lego/3-Physics/pneumatics/images/pump3.jpg

the proper full HTML page is:

http://prelude.PSY.UMontreal.CA/%7Ecousined/lego/3-Physics/pneumatics/a-pressure.htm

Also at that stacker meeting, I think it was Phil, who suggested to me
that the 2  40t gears together have the right stroke push.

I might just have to sit down and play.

Or you can do it and tell me what you found.

:)

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm