 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 738
Re: again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:58:53 GMT

Just received the Pneumatic pack today.
Oh my word!

My thoughts exactly when I recieved mine! I ordered two just so I could have
two air tanks. As fun as it has been fiddling with th pneumatics, I have yet to
incororate them into a robot. I had big dreams of a pneumatic block stacker,
but it never panned out. I still have the mechanism I was going to use to
control the four valves with one motor... What I am currently working on is a
window walker. I modified some aquarium suction cups and am using the old style
pneumatics (borrowed from Calum) to create a vacuum in the tanks instead of
compressed air. It is great fun, I can't wait to see the thing climbing
windows!
More fun (next to Mindstorms Robots) I have not had!
I can see where Chris gets his appreciation for these air mechanisms!
I just built an arm with 4 joints and a grabber mechanism, set up the
electric compressor as it shows in the instructions, and let the good times
roll!

Speaking of air compressors, I have found these are quite a puzzle. I haven't
figured out the 'optimum' gear reduction and number of compressors yet. Someone
did a bunch of testing of different mechnisms, and it seems using an old style
motor with 5:1 reduction and just one small compressor pump works best. I
really would like to figure out a way to use the hand pumps!

K, here's a question, I now have 3 (three) manual pumps, seeing as how one
came w/ the pneumatic set and one came in each of the pneumatic circuits I
ordered... What can you do with those big pumps?  can you convert them into
working pneumatic cylinders?

Not a bad idea, but no go. The pumps have only one inlet, and a built in check
valve. This means they can blow out, but nothing can be blown in.

I only need one manual pump!

Tell me about it! By the way, as an aside, I have found the newer parts that
come with the pneumatics kits to be really useful. I used a bunch of them on my
stacker, like the studless beams, and the curved half beams. The studless beams
are great for sliding surfaces of a linear mechanism (ie the grabber on my
stacker, or cartesian robots like Iain is so good at).

All in all pneumatics are fun, but they require a lot of overhead, like the
compressor, pressure switch, and motor(s) to switch the valve(s). Things get
big a bulky really fast!

Rob