 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7409
Re: Looking for OS suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:46:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Gerard Steenbeek writes:

I have recently obtained a PII 233 notebook with a 6GB drive

I might get flamed for this but...

Windows ME might work, usually does for me. If it doesn`t, then you can try
98SE
An I am SURE people will disagree with me, but I don`t care...

Uh, yeah.  Windows ME is probably the worst OS you could possibly load on a
PC.  All the instability of Windows 9x with extra GUI CPU load.

If you have a PC that can run an NT kernal based OS (ie, NT4, 2000, XP) then
great.  Use that, because it's stable.

If the machine is too old and therefore doesn't have the resources to run
something new, run Win95 or Win98.  Most of the equipment vendors will at
least maintain some driver support for it.

But don't load something retarded like ME:  Ie, questionable hardware
support for an older machine's more obscure hardware (like laptop
components) and you're not gaining anything functionality-wise over 98.

If it has enough RAM, you can probably do NT4SP6A and it'd be just fine.

Calum