 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7317
7316  |  7318
Subject:
OMG! Death is X! X is Sledgehammer! death !=sledgehammer!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 19:09:20 GMT

Hey folks,

Calum here with Iain.  Today both of us had the honour of being the first
two people ever on the brand new Huss Jump2 amusement ride here at sunny
Paramount's Canada's Wonderland (PCWo).  Yes, that's right-Iain was the
first, I was the second, walking into the ride on it's very first
operational run for the general public.  We might have been the second and
third, for a very loud and irritating lady before us complained loudly that
the unit wasn't running and made a fuss.  Luckily, she left before the ride
started running.

(Now, it may seem that this was some spectacle like a bunch of nerds we
waited for extensively.  It wasn't like the countdown to Episode 1, Star
Trek or some other deal where we camped out eighteen hours beforehand,
paying $1000 to a charity auction to ride the first ride.  We literally just
happened to be around the thing around 10:30AM when they anounced the ride
was running.  Side note:  No one else was there either :)

The Sledgehammer is a neat ride.  The drawings and animations Iain has
posted here incessantly really do it too much of a diservice-you'd think it
was much more violent and jarring, but in fact the Jump2 is very smooth and
in one park operator's words "underwhelming".  It looks a lot more thrilling
than it actually is-riding it is sort of like a nice walk in the park.  With
flowers.  But the truth is, it's reasonably fun-you get to sit facing your
friends, and  when it does actually "jump" between hydraulic positions with
it's arms, it gives everyone a good chuckle and a little bit of a thrill.
Overall, it was worth the 15 minute wait as Iain and I sat around waiting
for it to open.

I'm sure Iain will want to post more about it, but for now, you can see the
Lego model that he built of it:

http://members.rogers.com/militaryduckjock/sledgehammer/sledgehammer002.jpg

Calum