 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7316
7315  |  7317
Subject:
So how many pieces do you have anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 18:49:03 GMT

This is a question I've been asked, and I'm sure the rest of you have been
asked many times.  Until now I've had no idea how to answer it realistically.
Estimates by myself and others have run from 100,000 to 250,000 pieces and
sometimes more.  But I've really had no way of confirming or denying those
numbers.  I figured the error could be as high as 100,000 pieces or more.

Well, Wednesday last week peeron made its My Parts inventory open to people
without lugnet memberships.  So I started plugging a way at entering my
collection.  I knew I couldn't get it perfect.  There are several sets I've
purchased large numbers of and have no way of tracking down an exact number.
For example I think I have somewhere around 14 soccer grandstands, maybe more.
But for the most part I know all the sets I have.

After plugging away at this through the week I got serious about it on the
weekend.  I went through all my instructions.  For every set I was unsure of
the numbers I tracked down unique pieces to better estimate the numbers.  I've
now entered everything I can possibly think of into the database.  I've also
tracked all the sets that are not currently inventoried.  This way I can add
them when they become available.

I've wanted to do this for a while so I'd have some idea of the value of my
collection for insurance purposes.  I now have the best estimate I think I
could possibly have without getting down and counting each piece individually.
:-)  I still need to estimate some, because of garage sale lego and a lot of
bulk lego I had as a kid that I have no source information for.  But at least
now I think I have the error down to +- 10,000 bricks instead of 100,000.

So how many pieces do I have anyway?  Well I was surprised.  It's lower then I
was expecting.  I was sure it would be over 200,000 but it isn't.  The peeron
inventory says I have 137,255 pieces.  I figure there are 30,000 pieces I can't
account for with peeron.  That makes a total of 167,000 pieces +- 10,000.

So, what does this mean?  Well I have:

2177 - black technic friction pins

Derek