 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6634
Re: rtl14 Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:53:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Definately something that would be a load of fun to try.  I still think we
have to keep it simple (no T's) to start with, though.  Supporting the
structure is still an issue iirc.

I think there's a fair amount of interest in this one.  We should try
building a maze and seeing if it can be supported.  I already have some pipe
parts here, as does John.

Would be interested in hearing more thoughts on this... I'm desperate to do
any kind of wire-suspension competition (climbing, traversing, whatever -
anything suspended from wires or ropes instantly piques my interest...!  IT
COULD BE LIKE CIRQUE DU SOLIEL.  BUT REALLY, no it couldn't.

Well, if you mean paying lots of cash for prancy weirdos dancing around, um,
yeah, it could be like that.  Sure :)  I was thinking about that new Technic
monkey, what would happen if you put two of them against each other.  What
if there was an objective in the middle that you had to stop pick it up?

This reminds me of the contests they do at MIT with pingpong balls.  I've
always admired those contests.  I love pingpong ball robots.

I did too.  I loved those Nova or SciAm Frontiers episodes about young minds
at the MIT 6.270 competitions...made me want to go to MIT.

Didn't JeffE say something about the micromotor running for something like
well over half an hour?  Don't you think that would drive a car kind of far
in that time?  IE, where to hold that venue?  Unused runway at Pearson?  :)

Well, yes, it goes for a while, but without load.  Once you factor in
traction, friction, loss due to mechanical etc.

Still that's a very cute idea!  Maybe do something with height though.  How
high can a cap-driven device climb up a rope or wire - carrying a minifig
passenger (or any defined load).  Yes!  Yes yes.  OH YES.

A minifigure is something everyone has and it's somewhat cute.  Sure.  But I
think climbing up a string is hard!

Calum